Please read through the Field Research Office: Vehicles website for all the information on using vehicles in the field. For more information of the UofA Fleet follow the link.
Driving UofA Vehicles
- Possess a valid Canadian or US driver’s license
- Must be 19 years of age to drive a University Vehicle, rental or leased vehicle. Minimum age to drive a 15 passenger van is 21 years, possess a Class 4 License, and complete UofA’s van orientation
- Possess a driver’s abstract with fewer than 5 demerits or 3 moving violation for new drivers. Existing drivers may not have any more than 6 demerits or 3 moving violations
- Successfully complete a defensive driving course (DDC) at the UofA or have completed a DDC within the past 2 years from a certified provider
- Successfully complete a driver’s evaluation course (DEC), conducted at the University. Schedule your in-car evaluation
You must get final authorization from the University Fleet Officer for driving privileges using the linked form
Make sure you always make sure you have a safety orientation before boarding a helicopter. Pay close attention the pilot pre-flight briefing and follow their instructions.
If the rotors are turning or about to turn
- You should always approach in the pilots’ visual field [front]
- Approach a helicopter walking uphill or crouching if on the level
- Never approach a helicopter from above [main rotor]
- Never approach a helicopter from the rear [tail rotor]
- Hold onto all light weight items as they could be blown away
- If an item does get blown away do not chase it – it’s not worth your life unless you have been specifically designated as a helper