Incident Reporting Procedures

Reporting injuries/incidents procedures:

There are several steps important steps to follow when reporting on the job injuries or incidents.  You have to find who the injury happened to, how it happened and when it happened.

There are three main aspects when reporting an incident or injury:

  • first response: treating the injured person
  • recording details of the incident (who, where, when, treatment)
  • notifying the department Safety Officer, Assistant Chair (Admin), or Chair. Then the Safety Officer or Asst. Chair Admin is responsible to notify the Office of Environmental Health & Safety and Risk Management about the injuries. Workers Compensation Claims are handled through EH&S and these reports should be sent over no later than 72 hours after the incident occured.

For a minor injury, a first aid report would be filled out.

For a more serious injury, the person would seek aid from a doctor or nurse.  The injury should be written up in case more problems arise from the injury than otherwise thought.

Finally, a more serious injury would place personnel in the hospital for possible surgery or life threatening injuries- contact the department and give them all the details of the event.  Worker’s Comp forms need to be filled out and written documentation on how the injury had occured.

WCB forms are found on the EH&S site:  Report an Injury

WCB forms can also be found on the U of A Human Resource page:  Report an Injury

Occupational Health & Safety Legislation Required Reportable Incidences or Near Misses:

There are also reporting requirements under the Occupational Health & Safety Legisaltion regardless of whether the incidents results in a personal injury or an illness.  These specific types of incidents or injuries require IMMEDIATE reporting to the Office of Environmental Health & Safety.  In these cases, EH&S will contact regulators on behalf of the University and assist you with your response to the incident or injury.  These specific incidents and injuries are:

Any incident or injury involving pressure equipment
Any incident or injury involving flood, fire or explosion 
Any incident or injury involving an elevator
Any incident or injury resulting in hospitalization
Any incident or injury related to the collapse of a crane or derrick
Any incident or injury related to the collapse of structure necessary for the structural integrity of a building
To report these incidents, contact 780-492-3710.

Near Misses and Other Health Related Concerns:

Potential Accidents or Incidents (Close calls):

There can be situations that if left unchecked, could result in serious incidents or injuries. Such situations should be reported to the Lab Supervisor or Department Safety Officer immediately, who will then in turn contact the appropriate resources to have the situation resolved immediately. If the Lab Supervisor or Safety Officer are not available, contact the Department Assistant Chair (Admin) or the Chair. Such situations may be written up using the standard reporting procedure to ensure that the situation has been resolved and new protocols are followed.

 Occupational Health Concerns:

Whenever a person is concerned about a lab procedure or has a health concern regarding the job they perform, they can contact the Department Safety Officer, Assistant Chair (Admin), or Office of Environmental Health & Safety. It is best to work towards a solution instead of filing a NASA complaint

Time Restrictions when filing an Accident Report:

There are time restrictions in filing accident and injury reports. The Department must file an injury report to the Office of Environmental Health & Safety within 48 hours of an accident.

The University must file an accident report with the Workman’s Compensation Board within 72 hours after an injury has occurred, or risk severe fines. ($25,000.00 for non-reporting)

Therefore, whenever there has been a workplace incident/injury reported to any Faculty Advisor, Staff Member or Teaching Assistant, they must immediately advise the Assistant Chair (Admin) and provide written information of the event.

Workers Compensation Board Role at the U of A:

The WCB-Alberta is a mutual insurance organization that is funded by employers in the province. Its role is to provide workplace liability and disability insurance for its members. All University of Alberta Employees are covered under the WCB if they are injured while performing their duties, but in addition, students are also covered if they are injured while engaged in activities related to their educational program (i.e. in a class or a laboratory or while on a field trip). If a university employee is injured at work, the WCB may reimburse the University for the Employees Wages while recovering. For students injured while engaged in some aspect of their program, the WCB may reimburse them for wages lost because they could not continue a part-time job or for an ambulance or prescription drugs (this coverage for students is paid for by the Alberta Department of Higher Education, not the University of Alberta).

The Workers’ Compensation Board requires notification of all worker accidents in which:

  • a worker requires medical attention, or
  • a worker cannot continue working after the injury

WCB report forms are required from both the worker and the employer. Students or workers should submit their completed form to the Assistant Chair (Admin), who will complete the employer form and send both over to Human Resource Services within 72 hours. Also, if the injured person seeks medical attention, inform the doctor that the accident occurred at work so that a medical WCB report can be submitted within 48-72 hours.